A library of Sermon Series presented at MUMC.
We all love Christmas movies. And the best ones – even when they don’t tell the story of Jesus – still have a peculiar way of reminding us of what the season is all about. During this Advent, join us for a fun series that makes connections between your favorite movies and some of the big ideas of Christmas faith!
December 1st: “Elizabeth, Zechariah & Elf: on Joy and Fear” [Luke 1:5-15a] [manuscript]
December 8th: John the Baptist & George Bailey: On Hope [Mark 1:1-8] [manuscript]
December 15th: Mary, Joseph & The Santa Clause: On Peace [Matthew 1:18-25] [manuscript]
December 22nd: Jesus & Kris Kringle: On Love [John 10:22-32] [manuscript]
December 29th: Anna, Simeon, the Little Drummer Boy & Jack Skellington: Bringing What We Have [Luke 2:21-38] [manuscript]
Humility one of the most important characteristics of the Christian life, and one of the most easily overlooked. We need it in order to learn (you can’t be teachable if you think you know everything), in order to take correction (you can’t see what you’re doing wrong if you always think you’re right), and in order to practice faith (when we’ve got it all under control, we have no need for God).
In this sermon series, we are trying to make connections between Jesus and the prophets of the Old Testament. Why is this important? Over the past few years, we’ve done several series where we’ve tried to get new perspectives on Jesus’ teachings (Remember Happy, The Bad Habits of Jesus, and Stuff I Wish Jesus Hadn’t Said?). It’s very easy for us to get TOO familiar with Jesus and begin to assume we already know what he’s about. Because very few of us actually have an in-depth understanding of the prophets, looking at Jesus as a prophet might reveal a totally different side of his life and teaching.
September 8th: “Returning to Our First Love” [Mark 12: 28-34] [manuscript]
September 15th: “Caring for the Least” [Luke 16: 19-31] [manuscript]
September 22nd: “The Power of Challenging Authority”
September 29th: “The Power of Symbol“
Truth Bombs…A summer sermon series. Pastor Joe and Pastor Kathleen embark upon a sermon series journey exploring some of the lesser-known parables of Jesus.
Week 1 (Jul 28): “The Parable of the Soils” [Matthew 13: 1-16]
Week 2 (Aug 11): “Parable of the Unforgiving Servant” [Matthew 18: 21-35]
Week 3 (Aug 18): “The Parable of the Persistent Widow” [Luke 18:1-8]
We’re talking about the Exodus and its lessons for us in times when things feel uncertain. How God calls us, leads us, provides for us – that’s some of what we’re going to discuss during this Spring sermon series.
Part 1 (Apr 28): “The Burning Bush: God’s Calling” [Exodus 3:1-14, 4:1-5 & 10-13] Manuscript
Part 2 (May 5): “The Red Sea: God’s Protection” [Exodus 14:5-8, 10-14, 21-31] Manuscript
Part 3 (May 12): “Manna from Heaven: God’s Generosity” [Exodus 16:1-7, 13-23, 31] Manuscript
Part 4 (May 19): “The 10 Commandments: God’s Blueprint” [Exodus chapters 19 & 20]
Part 5 (May 26): “The Golden Calf: God’s Timing” [Exodus 32: 1-14] Manuscript
Part 6 (Jun 2): “The Pillar of Fire & Cloud: God’s Guidance” [Exodus 40:1-14, 34-38] Manuscript
This Lent, we are going to focus on the gospels. And we’re going to explore them using the themes of discipleship we find in our membership vows. When we join the church, we commit to support this community through our prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness. We believe that these are important dimensions of discipleship.
- March 10th: Prayers Scripture: John 17:1-10, 15-23 [View manuscript]
- March 17th: Presence Scripture: Mark 10:13-21 [View manuscript]
- March 24th: Gifts Scripture: Mark 14:3-9 [Manuscript not available]
- March 31st: Service Scripture: Matthew 25:31-45 [View manuscript]
- April 7th: Witness Pt 1 Scripture: Luke 19: 37-38 [View manuscript]
All of us want better relationships: in our families, with our friends, at work. Often we just don’t know how to get there. But there are some simple things we can do to foster healthy relationships: by getting our anxiety under control, practicing empathy, honoring boundaries, improving communication, and building trust.
An Advent Sermon Series: Incarnation is just a fancy word to say “in the flesh” and we’re talking about why incarnation – why God wanted to do this at all and what it means for us in terms of how we live.
- [12/2/2018] Incarnation Means Love Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 3:9-13 [View manuscript]
- [12/9/2018] Incarnation Means Change Scripture: Luke 3:1-6 [View manuscript]
- [12/16/2018] Incarnation Means Joy Scripture: Isaiah 12:2-6 [View manuscript]
- [12/23/2018] Incarnation Means Sacrifice Scripture: Hebrews 10:1, 5-7, 10 [Manuscript not Available]
IT’S HARD TO KNOW HOW TO RELATE TO A BEING WHO SEEMS UNKNOWABLE, FAR AWAY AND SHROUDED IN MYSTERY: And yet, we teach that God is close to each of us. Sometimes we create our own stumbling blocks to relationship with mistaken notions of who God is and how God works. In this series, we’ll explore four common ways people approach God and describe the strengths and weaknesses of each before turning to an approach that will change the way you think about God for good.
- [10/14/2018] Life OVER God Scripture: Genesis 3:1-10 [View manuscript]
- [10/28/2018] Life UNDER God Scripture: Deuteronomy 28:1-19 [View manuscript]
- [11/4/2018] Life FOR God Scripture: 2 Corinthians 11:16-30 [View manuscript]
- [11/11/2018] Life FROM God Scripture: Philippians 4:10-19 [View manuscript]
- [11/18/2018] Life WITH God Scripture: 1 Corinthians 13:8 -13 [Manuscript not available]
When Jesus says tough things, we want to water him down and tune him out. But the core of Jesus’ message are a ton of hard sayings about forgiveness, loving our enemies, money, and service. Let’s look again at the Gospels and some of the life-changing “Stuff I Wish Jesus Hadn’t Said.”
LENT WORSHIP SERIES – THE BAD HABITS OF JESUS – based on the book by Leonard Sweet. We picture Jesus in soft light – a tame, gentle figure who never upset anyone. But if that’s true, it’s hard to explain how he ended up on a cross. This Lent, let’s explore Jesus’ revolutionary edge. Let’s give him back his power to transform us through radical love.
- Feb 18 – Jesus Thought He was God
- Feb 25 – Jesus Procrastinated
- Mar 4 – Jesus was Wasteful
- Mar 11 – Jesus Was Constantly Disappearing
- Mar 18 – Jesus Told Stories That Made No Sense
- Mar 25 – Jesus Was Dangerous