A library of Sermon Series presented at MUMC.
All of us want better relationships: in our families, with our friends, at work. Often we just don’t know how to get there. But there are some simple things we can do to foster healthy relationships: by getting our anxiety under control, practicing empathy, honoring boundaries, improving communication, and building trust.
An Advent Sermon Series: Incarnation is just a fancy word to say “in the flesh” and we’re talking about why incarnation – why God wanted to do this at all and what it means for us in terms of how we live.
- [12/2/2018] Incarnation Means Love Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 3:9-13 [View manuscript]
- [12/9/2018] Incarnation Means Change Scripture: Luke 3:1-6 [View manuscript]
- [12/16/2018] Incarnation Means Joy Scripture: Isaiah 12:2-6 [View manuscript]
- [12/23/2018] Incarnation Means Sacrifice Scripture: Hebrews 10:1, 5-7, 10 [Manuscript not Available]
IT’S HARD TO KNOW HOW TO RELATE TO A BEING WHO SEEMS UNKNOWABLE, FAR AWAY AND SHROUDED IN MYSTERY: And yet, we teach that God is close to each of us. Sometimes we create our own stumbling blocks to relationship with mistaken notions of who God is and how God works. In this series, we’ll explore four common ways people approach God and describe the strengths and weaknesses of each before turning to an approach that will change the way you think about God for good.
- [10/14/2018] Life OVER God Scripture: Genesis 3:1-10 [View manuscript]
- [10/28/2018] Life UNDER God Scripture: Deuteronomy 28:1-19 [View manuscript]
- [11/4/2018] Life FOR God Scripture: 2 Corinthians 11:16-30 [View manuscript]
- [11/11/2018] Life FROM God Scripture: Philippians 4:10-19 [View manuscript]
- [11/18/2018] Life WITH God Scripture: 1 Corinthians 13:8 -13 [Manuscript not available]
When Jesus says tough things, we want to water him down and tune him out. But the core of Jesus’ message are a ton of hard sayings about forgiveness, loving our enemies, money, and service. Let’s look again at the Gospels and some of the life-changing “Stuff I Wish Jesus Hadn’t Said.”
LENT WORSHIP SERIES – THE BAD HABITS OF JESUS – based on the book by Leonard Sweet. We picture Jesus in soft light – a tame, gentle figure who never upset anyone. But if that’s true, it’s hard to explain how he ended up on a cross. This Lent, let’s explore Jesus’ revolutionary edge. Let’s give him back his power to transform us through radical love.
- Feb 18 – Jesus Thought He was God
- Feb 25 – Jesus Procrastinated
- Mar 4 – Jesus was Wasteful
- Mar 11 – Jesus Was Constantly Disappearing
- Mar 18 – Jesus Told Stories That Made No Sense
- Mar 25 – Jesus Was Dangerous